Sunday, October 26, 2008

Countdown to Obamageddon: 9 days to go

So, I was talking to my dad on the phone yesterday, and he was wondering why I hadn't posted on my blog in so long, the idea that people have actually been checking my blog, and wanting me to post, well that strokes my ego, and so I decided I must give the people what they want. My dad suggested I blog about the election, which makes sense since I don't really think or talk about much else these days (and if you are talking to me about something else, know that I would rather be discussing the election).

I've enjoyed politics for a long time now, it is like watching sports for me, it provides entertainment, but also heart break - and as we all know, I like a healthy dose of competition. As much as pundits and the news media annoy me, I can't get enough of watching them, well at least right now...

My complete dorkiness has been coming out more recently. With only nine days to go until the election I find myself quite restless. I have been waiting and working for so long for this day to finally come, and yet I cannot quite bring myself to believe that what I want to happen might actually happen. That isn't the way things I invest in usually work out. To pass some of the down time I decided it would be fun to countdown by watching one Obama speech a day, as a way to help release some of my nervous energy. I enlisted my brother to participate in this excerise as well, since there are only so many times you can discuss how you are more qualified to be vice president than Sarah Palin or how John Mccain has run a negative campaign. See we all want to talk about how awesome Barack Obama is, and how he has run this brillant campaign, but that might be jinxing something, so by watching these videos we can discuss this in the past tense, while letting the future play out as it will.

So, today we were going to watch Obama's speech from 2002 opposing the Iraq war, but the video footage from that has been lost. Which I must say is bizarre, to be reminded of a time where things like that happened, and that wasn't long ago. I mean if you want to see any moment of the 2008 presidential campaign it is right there on youtube, but a moment from only six years ago is lost forever. We watched Obama's 2004 convention speech instead. I have seen this speech so many times and it just never gets old, and always gives me chills. I encourage everyone to watch along with us, and appreciate the possibility of what our country could be if this man gets to be president.

1 comment:

Jason said...

umm... why is mel gibson listed on the poll, if he was he would get my vote.